Downtown Links, the greatly anticipated connection between Interstate 10 and Barraza-Aviation Parkway, is reaching another milestone on the eastern end of the regional corridor.
Downtown Links is the Regional Transportation Authority-funded new roadway connecting Barraza-Aviation Parkway to Sixth Street and I-10. Construction work on the roadway portion north of Broadway, named Maclovio Barraza Parkway, is almost done.
Project elements on the final roadway include:
- Intersection improvements at Broadway Boulevard/Maclovio Barraza Parkway
- Multi-use path (MUP) along the entire eastside of Maclovio Barraza Parkway alignment
- MUP connection at Stevens Plaza Park near the Fourth Avenue underpass
- Bridge installed over Sixth Avenue
- Seventh Street/Seventh Avenue HAWK for safe bicycle/pedestrian roadway and UPRR crossing
- New intersection at Sixth Street/Maclovio Barraza Parkway
- Drainage improvements
- Sewer improvements
- Waterline improvements
City and RTA officials plan a ribbon cutting on Friday, Feb. 17, at 9 a.m. to commemorate the opening of the new roadway. For parking, enter from Sixth Street from just east of Stone Avenue.
Remaining work on the western portion of the project include underground drainage and a Sixth Street underpass beneath the railroad tracks.
Downtown Links is one of 35 roadway corridor projects funded in the Regional Transportation Authority’s 20-year regional transportation plan approved by Pima County voters in 2006. The project website provides all the construction and other details of Downtown Links.